The basic function of the structural fitter is responsible for putting metal parts together to create a finished sheet or structural metal project.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Must have lay-out and fitting experience with misc. metal & structural steel (ie. beams, columns, base plates, handrails, stairs, etc.)
- Must be able to to comprehend blueprints, sketches and templetes.
- Lay-out, position, align and fit together fabricated parts of structural metals according to blueprints & layout specifications to prepare for welding or riveting.
- Must be able to use jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, hammers, etc. in order to cut, bend, and straighten metal.
- Locate and mark work-piece bending and cutting lines, allowing for stock thickness, machine and welding shrinkage, and other component specifications.
- Mark reference points onto floors or face blocks and transpose them to work-pieces, using measuring devices, squares, chalk, and soapstone.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: 2+ years